|Dear Friends, Partners, & Allies,
Thanks to everyone who was able to join us for last week’s coalition meeting. It was great seeing and commiserating with everyone. We look forward to coming together again in February and will send out a Doodle poll after the first of the year to confirm a date and time for the meeting.
In the meantime, we’ll be working on the following next steps:
- Schedule meetings with Governor-elect Jim Justice (or staff), Secretary of State-elect Mac Warner, and legislative leadership (including incoming Senate President Mitch Carmichael) to discuss our policy goals regarding disclosure, build relationships, and find common ground.
- Start building new relationships with legislators and begin identifying potential champions.
- Check with the Our Children, Our Future campaign about being part of the campaign and submitting something for possible inclusion in their “commitment” in the future.
- Learn more about the Represent.Us campaign, discuss with national allies, and research how a West Virginia campaign might be structured absent a ballot initiative option.
- Continue our money in politics research and look into disclosure related enforcement or legal strategies we might pursue, including filing a formal complaint with the Secretary of State on unreported outside spending during the 2016 election.
If you are interested in attending meetings with elected officials or helping with any of these tasks, please let us know by replying to this email or by calling Julie at (304) 346-5891. Also please contact us anytime with any questions or concerns. We appreciate your continued support!
Julie & Natalie
Julie Archer & Natalie Thompson, Co-Coordinators